Tuesday, May 10, 2011

April 13, 14, 15: DAYS 6, 7, 8

Day 6:
When we woke up, Brandon ran down to the gas station and picked us up a breakfast pizza, some orange juice, hot chocolate packets and some pastries.  We all sat around the big log table in our cabin and enjoyed our meal together.
Chance and Easton kept going on the front porch to feed their new friend "Pieces" the stray cat. Chance really grew to love this cat and was so sad that we couldn't take him home!
We got dressed and took the kids down to the RLDS church to their visitors center. We had to go there because the RLDS owns the part of the property in Nauvoo where Josephs Smith home and cemetery sit. Oh, and the "Red Brick Store." It was really cool to see inside all of those places and hear little inside stories that took place there. Also, in the "Red Brick Store", we bought rootbeer candies, pioneer gifts and pioneer hats for the boys.
When we were done there, we rushed back to the cabin, ditched the kids, changed our clothes and hurried back to the temple so we could do a session.
The Nauvoo Temple was gorgeous inside. A little old mixed with new style. I absolutely loved it! The hand painted walls were gorgeous. One of the ladies that sat next to me, pointed out one of the sections of a wall that President Hinkley got to paint!
Brandon and I glanced over at each other multiple times during our session. Reminded me of our wedding day. Only now, I love him even more and understand the importance of the temple in my life so much clearer!
That night, we took the kids to a river bank along the Mississippi and watched the sun set. It was fantastic. Brandon and the kids skipped rocks for at least an hour. What a perfect last night we had in Old Nauvoo!




"Pieces" Chance's buddy!


We took this of ourselves after our temple session:)







Day 7:
Our last morning in Nauvoo. We woke up early, packed up the car and headed out. But not before Chance found his little buddy "Pieces" the kitty. He was genuinely sad that we couldn't take him home. I explained to him that cats hate to travel and get really nervous in cars and planes. He thought about it, and settled for just feeding "Pieces" one last plate of scraps.
Chance talked us in to going back to the "Brickyard" before we could leave Nauvoo. I'm so glad he did because they gave our family a brick made from real Nauvoo clay. Neat.
Our next stop was "Carthage Jail." Where Hyrum and Joseph were killed. We expected this to be the neatest stop, but noooooo. Some dumb crap family let their kids scream the whole time and crawl all over the antiques. Brandon and I were so frazzled and stricken with anxiety that it kind of ruined the whole experience. But it was really neat to see anywho!
After a few hour drive, we landed in St.Louis. We stayed at the Hyatt (quite fancy) especially compared to the places we had been staying. We all spread out and relaxed for a bit before we went and met a guy named "Charles" and his family that work in the industry with Brandon. We met for pizza. It was a quaint little restaurant downtown that was surrounded with trees and we ate out on the sidewalk. It was gorgeous there. I loved it. And my kids had a ball with their kids! They were begging for a sleepover by the end of the evening.
 



Carthage Jail



Easton: just chillin' in the hotel window seat.

 Charles Dugan and family


 Brandon pulled over on the way back to our hotel and made the whole car try a "White Castle" burger! Ewwww...it was soooo gross! We all spit it out. SICK!

 I forgot to mention...Brandon let Hannah practice her driving skills! Holy freak....scary!



Day 8:
The most beautiful and yummy breakfast buffet awaited us in the lobby that morning. We stuffed ourselves silly. Then, we ran across the street and took a tour of the St. Louis Arch and stopped at a fun kids museum before making our way to the airport! By five o'clock that night we were on our flight home.
I was so sad. I mean like really, really weepy. I loved every minute of my vacation. I had all of my kids within reach the whole time. I could hear their every word. And loved having them close. By Saturday morning (the day after we got home) everyone had spread in their different directions...and I hated it. Now I know why it is so important to take "family" vacations. Not just for the sight seeing, but the bonds you make! Absolutely priceless.






This is from the top looking down. It was swaying a little in the wind. I couldn't get down fast enough:)

City Museum


                                                                            the end.

5 comments:

Wendy and the Crew said...

Ok 1 - you are the cutest mom ever 2- I love picture by the water 3- You are still the same little squirt that I loved 20 years ago!! Such a cute family and what a fun vacation!

jenn said...

That picture of the temple with the blossoms?!?!? Holy Moses. I'm SO PROUD!!!! :)

Loved this post. Love that you got to have such a special trip with your family. Love the Mackays!

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

You just brought me back countless Nauvoo memories with my family... when I was only eight. Thanks love. The silhouette photo by the Mississippi River... is priceless, and I can only imagine how lovely your and Brandon's temple visit was. Love you guys MADLY!!!

Natali Thompson said...

That is SO cool! I can't wait to go there someday! Looks like you guys had some awesome family bonding time! :)

Bell Family said...

What a way to end your trip! Your family made a trip to Nauvoo seem cool. I am actually really excited to go.