We woke up at 8:30 today and got ready to go explore Nauvoo. We stopped at the information center and a cute lady told us the best way to start out the day was with a carriage ride that would explain the lay of the land in Nauvoo, and give a brief history. So we got our "free" (everythings pretty much free there) for the 12 o'clock ride.
We stopped at "Grandpa Johns" breakfast buffet. The lady there made us the best french toast and pancakes to go along with the buffet. I also introduced Hannah to her first "biscuits and gravy" just like my mom taught me. Yummy.
While we waited for 12 o'clock to come, we wandered into the visitors center and watched a 20 minute film. It was a great way for all of us to get a mental picture of how the Saints lived and thrived off the land, how they built the temple, and what tremendous faith they would have had. I would have looked at that swamp land and said "holy crap, forget it!"
All day, we drove around and stopped at all of the little cabins. We had a great time in the "Family Center" where the Senior missionaries taught us how to make candles, pottery, spin yarn, make rope, and bake "ash" bread. It was really hands on for the kids and they got samples of everything they made.
Brandon and Chance loved the "Browning" gun shop. And of course all of our favorite was the "blacksmith." He reminded me so much of Brandon's "Uncle Allen." He told us how the big wagon wheels they produce are like a family. The "Mom" is the part in the middle that is strong and the center of the family. The "kids" are the spokes and the "Dad" is the outer edge that is strong and holds it all together. Then the metal part on the very outer edge is "Our Heavenly Father" he is our strength and our safety without him we would be a disaster and break! I loved that comparison.
The "blacksmith" also made us a horseshoe as he talked and told us about his trade. He gave it to Chance because this month he will be 8! Chance beamed with delight! And the last thing we learned was about the "courting candle." That's a long story about how long the candle burns is how long a boy can visit your daughter, but lets just put it this way...Brandon ran out and bought one! The girls rolled their eyes:)
The kids were pretty tired by now. So we ran them up to the gas station and grabbed a pizza to take back to the cabin. We left them there to play and rest. Brandon and I zipped back down to Old Nauvoo and went to Joseph Smith's grave site. No one was around at all. We walked into a little gated area that had a cobblestone path that overlooked the Mississippi River.
It was so beautiful and peaceful there. The grass was so green, the trees were blossoming, and the bulbs peeking out and showing their many colors. We stood and pondered together quietly. The birds were chirping and as Brandon said "the earth just felt alive." It was so unbelievable to think that we were standing where Joseph Smith had stood, and that he and his family were also buried right there.
I sat on a bench and looked over the river. I couldn't help but wonder if I would have been super faithful like all the Saints were? I think I would have, Joseph seemed like such an amazing man and I love awesome leaders. I think if I had seen the way he lived his life, like they say he did...I would have just loved him so much.
Brandon stood over the grave and rubbed his hand over the headstone. It was so sweet and respectful. We will both cherish those moments together on that vacation.
When we left there, we stopped at a couple of gift stores and purchased a Christmas ornament, the courtship candles, a couple of books, and a pioneer hoop game for the boys.
That evening, we went to a play put on by the Senior Missionaries. I'm not going to lie...I thought it would be lame. But it was really entertaining and funny, and the kids even enjoyed it. It was called "Rendevous." We also ran into some neighbors that live out here in Saratoga, and that also happens to be our vet. Such a small world.
By this time, it was too late to grab dinner anywhere. So we had to try and find supplies at a gas station. We ended up with noodles and marinara. And Brandon taught us how to fry our first slices of "spam" in a pan! It was actually pretty good. And the kids loved it!
Then we wrote in our journals and off to bed!
Hannah: "help...there's no teenage boys around here!" ha ha ha
The boys: making rope
The "Browning Cabin." Guns, guns, and more guns.
The "blacksmith." AKA "Uncle Allen." Making Chance's horseshoe.
Chance with his horseshoe. He loved it!
The graves of: Hyrum, Joseph and Emma
Graves of: Lucy Mack (Josephs Mother) and Joseph Sr. (Dad) and some of their children.
The boys: playing their new pioneer game!
Spam, spam, spam!
"E" writing in his journal.
Each one of us had our own "travel journals." They will thank me someday!
Tomorrow, we get to go to the temple! Just me and my hubby! Can't wait.
4 comments:
This trip is just fantastic. I love reading all of these posts and get a little teary-eyed each time! And your kids will DEFINITELY thank you one day for the journals. How special!
Oh goodness... I got one of those "nail" rings, when I went with my family when I was eight. What an AMAZING family trip (smiling sigh).
I can't believe you actually came home. Biscuits and Gravy, cabins, yarn spinning, Browning Gun Stores, Blacksmiths, wagon rides. It's like YOUR heaven on earth!!
Wow...you were gone a long time...your already posting "June"! :)
Anyways, I love reading about your trip...I almost feel like i'm there with you...until you decided to eat SPAM! Ha Ha!
Post a Comment