Thursday, July 2, 2009

A little tribute....


For some, Michael Jackson represented a man who had made some bad choices. And yes, in the latter years, he DID. However; for me he represented a magical time in my childhood. When I was in like the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade....I idolized this man. I listened to his music constantly, watched all of his music videos, Thriller was shown at every party, and I just knew that he wrote the song "Dirty Diana" after me....Elizabeth Diane!

My mom would always buy my friends and I pins, posters, and sparkly gloves so we could have him with us at all times. My friend Catherine and I would rollerskate around her basement with christmas lights lining the floors and dancing to MJ.

And most importantly, when I was in fourth grade, my parents got me tickets to go see his concert in California. My dad worked for the airlines as a luggage man and we were able to fly standby, and my mom (not having much cashflow at the time) bought me a brand new outfit that I still remember to this day. She got it at the "Strawberry Patch" and it consisted of some super cute walking shorts, a pair of argyle knee highs and an argyle sweater vest to match the socks...along with what else but a shiny pair of penny-loafers. I thought I was FOR SURE going to get noticed by MJ that night and sing with him on stage.
Truly, it was the BEST CONCERT I have EVER been to. He was a true performer. And there was such energy in the crowd...I remember it like it was yesterday.

When he passed, my Dad called to see if I was alright. Partly joking, but a little serious. It did leave a little pit in my stomach. Despite his bad decisions in the past few years, originally he was a fantastic entertainer. And who can sit still when his music is playing???

Unfortunately my kids didn't get to enjoy that part of his life. In fact, Addie didn't even know what he looked like or who he was until he died last week. And now that she has seen so much of him and what he looked like when he died...she is TOTALLY FREAKED OUT BY HIS APPEARANCE. She thinks he is scary. And last weekend when we went camping, she was totally scared to go into the bathroom because she JUST KNEW that MICHAEL JACKSON was in the outhouse!!!!

Nevertheless, he will be missed. And I would like to thank him for contributing to my childhood boogie sessions. I will always know that I AM....Dirty Diana, Yeah!!!!!

2 comments:

jenn said...

You will now and forever be know to me as Dirty Diana. I only wish I knew this little tad bit of information sooner.

I have to agree with you, back in the day he really was all that and a bag of chips.

And I agree with Addie, as of late he was unfortunately nothing but creepy. So sad.

Could you be sure to wear your MJ glove the next time I see you?

The Reading Armadillo said...

That story about Addie made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the laugh. Oh, and I'm sorry for your loss. :)