Monday, August 18, 2008

Granny's Secret

What does Grandma Dorothy + (plus)

A can of tomato sauce = (equal)???

BEAUTIFUL HIBISCUS FLOWERS!!! Feels like HAWAII!

Why is it that Grandma's always know the funniest little secrets? A few years ago when I bought my first Hibiscus plant, it was growing fine but not blooming ANY flowers. Well, my Grandma came by and I told her my dilemma...she told me to immediately pour a large can of tomato sauce or puree on the base of the plant, cover with dirt and water in! I did this, and seriously not two days later, these beautiful flowers started blooming. Every year I do the same thing and they bloom bigger and bigger each year! People seriously stop and ask what kind of a plant it is because they can't believe it can grow in Utah!!! "Thanks for another great tip Granny, what would I do without you???"

6 comments:

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

THE OTHER DAY I WAS DROPPING SOMETHING OFF AT YOUR HOUSE (TO ALLINA), AND... WHAT? IS THAT A HIBISCUS? SURE ENOUGH, LIZ HAS CREATED HER VERY OWN TROPICAL OASIS! I THINK THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO COPY CAT DOROTHY'S SPLENDID ADVICE NEXT YEAR. GOOD WORK SWEETY, THEY ARE MORE THAN FANTASTIC!!!

The Reading Armadillo said...

We went on a walk past your house, and Scooter was commenting on those flowers. He thought they were so pretty and told me you must water them a lot. Now I know the real truth! Great tip.

Amy said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. Go Grandma Dorothy!

BTW-where ya been?

Natali Thompson said...

Seriously?? Who woulda thunk? That is great advise. I love grandma secrets! Those are beautiful.

margo said...

I'm going out to buy myself a hibiscus plant and a supply of tomatoe sauce right away. Thanks for the tip!

jenn said...

Awe, I love that Grandma Dorothy! She is just the sweetest. Grandmas are the best.

I've got to try this out!