Friday, May 9, 2008

Eggs









Monday at noon, I picked Addie up from school and we drove out to the 4-h building to pick up the three dozen eggs that were being held for our 3rd grade classes. Along with an incubator. The man at the 4-h office (John Wesley) couldn't have been nicer. He let Addie pick the 36 eggs herself and load them into cartons. We then filled up hot water bottles and put them in a large cooler along with the fertilized eggs to keep them safe and warm.
I drove home like a grandma. Praying that no one would hit me because I didn't want any of the eggs to break and then some little child wouldn't be able to take their little chick home.
We made it back to school safely, and I'm proud to announce that on Wednesday we got 28 new baby chicks and on thursday the rest were born. With only one fatality!!! Pretty fantastic if I may say so myself.
It was fun seeing these little creatures break out of their shells. I had never seen a live chicken birth before, it was so cool. I may never look at scrambled eggs the same again! The children loved it and learned a lot.
The kids that were granted permission from their parents will be taking home their new family members today. We are getting two of these fluff balls. I can hardly wait for school to let out.

6 comments:

Amy said...

What an awesome thing for the to do in their class! BTW, the fact that you even know where the 4-H building is disturbs me!

Lisa Erskine said...

You are hilarious (I don't think I know how to spell that word)! Anyways, it sounds like you should be living on a farm! Maybe my kids could come and live with you for a while! :)

schaars said...

You are such a good mom I bet the kids are so excited ! We had chicks in my 3rd grade class and I loved it and I can still remember watching them hatch such a neat experience for little kids! I cant believe that you have chicks at home do they smell?

The Reading Armadillo said...

What a fun project! Those chicks are adorable.

jenn said...

Only you, Liz! You are stinkin' amazing. Do you think you could come do a famtastic chick hatching experience at Grace's school?

aviolamom said...

You are the BEST! I can't even tell you how much my boys love their chicks! It's so fun to see them care for something so much. Thanks for making it all possible.